Saturday, January 10, 2009

Think about it

I want you to think about something. First, pick a person in this world of great status. Maybe it's your favorite actor, or the president of the United States, or your favorite singer. Just think of a person you would love to meet and have a conversation with. It has to be someone of this world, who is living right now. Do you have your person? I'm going to pick a person, too. My person is George W. Bush.

Ok, now imagine that person wanted to come to your house and sit with you at the kitchen table and have a conversation. I think if George W. Bush wanted to visit my house and have a conversation with me, I'd probably be very excited about it. I would probably clear my schedule so there would be no interruptions. I probably wouldn't say, "you know, George, I'm a little busy watching Judge Judy right now...maybe some other time." Of course not! I would be very interested to talk with him and probably would want to make our visit last as long as possible. What about the person you picked? Would you blow them off or cut your conversation short? Probably not.

Now, think about this question. When it comes to God, do you really believe, that what you believe, is really real? I mean do you REALLY believe it? Because if you REALLY believe that when you pray, you are meeting with the creator of the universe, the living God, you wouldn't have trouble praying daily...you would have trouble leaving your prayer! Think about it. If a conversation with someone of this world who you find fascinating would get you so excited that you wouldn't let anything stand in the way of it, how much more exciting should it be to speak with GOD?!

Last night, we started a weekly Bible study with our friends called The Truth Project. Let me tell you, it is really amazing. If you ever have the chance to do The Truth Project...do it. It will make you think about your faith in ways you have never thought before. And it will make you constantly question yourself..."Do I really believe, that what I believe, is really real?"

The idea about prayer really hit me. I struggle to have a daily prayer life. But if I really believe I'm speaking with God, why is it so hard? I think this concept is going to dramatically change my prayer life. Each day, if I choose, I get to meet with the creator of the universe...and THAT is more exciting than meeting with anyone else I can think of. I'm really excited that I have the privilege to speak with Him whenever I want...and I think now it's going to be hard to peel me away from those conversations.

1 comments:

Cheeky Kitchen said...

What a great, thoughtful entry.

My mom always used to say, if God showed up right.now would there be dust on your bible?

Inspired by this quote: "Are there so many fascinating, exciting things to do or so many challenges pressing down upon you that it is hard to keep focused on that which is essential? When things of the world crowd in, all too often the wrong things take highest priority. Then it is easy to forget the fundamental purpose of life. Satan has a powerful tool to use against good people. It is distraction. He would have good people fill life with “good things” so there is no room for the essential ones. Have you unconsciously been caught in that trap?...Put first things first."~Richard G. Scott

I decided to make "PUT FIRST THINGS FIRST" my New Years Resolution. And, it's HARD. But, putting God first, then my family second is exactly what brings me the greatest joy at the end of the day.

So...I'm off of the computer and onto scripture study and house preparation for when the kids get home.

(And...THANK YOU for voting for the Avocado video. They couldn't have made it more impossible, so I greatly appreciate your willingness to get in there and cast the vote. Bless you!)