Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes

I've always loved homemade scalloped potatoes (the boxed ones are kinda yucky), but I never knew how to make them. I was so excited when my mom got me the new Better Homes and Gardens "Celebrating the Promise" cookbook for Christmas. I was looking through it and found a simple recipe for scalloped potatoes. I've made it twice with dinner and it's sooooo good. Don't forget to comment if you ever try a recipe from my blog and tell me how you like it. Here is the recipe, with some slight changes made by me.

Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes

1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup butter or margarine (I use real butter)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
4 medium, thinly sliced potatoes

1. For sauce, in a medium saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese until melted. Remove from heat; set aside. Place half the sliced potatoes in a greased, shallow casserole dish. Top with half the sauce. Repeat layers.

2. Bake, covered, in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 40 to 50 more minutes or until potato is tender and top is a nice golden brown. Let stand, uncovered, for 10 minutes before serving.

0 comments: