Friday, January 16, 2009

Gigi's Apple Crisp

Yesterday was my 4 year wedding anniversary. The Lord has blessed me with an amazing husband who is also a wonderful father to our two boys. I love him so much and thank God continually for him.

We always get each other the "traditional" anniversary gifts. The 4 year traditional gift is flowers or fruit. So, he got me flowers and I made him an apple crisp. I use my mom's recipe and it is soooo delish! (the grandkids call my mom Gigi). It's nice and crispy and sweet. In fact, after this post I think I'll go have some!

(Warning: if you are on a diet...turn away now! This stuff is full of sugar and butter!)

Gigi's Apple Crisp

4-5 Gala Apples
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbs cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 stick of butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup self-rising flour
1 egg
1 stick of butter

Peel apples and slice into wedges. Grease a rectangular glass baking dish. Cover the bottom of the dish with the apple wedges. In a medium bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar, the cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle mixture over apples. Cut the 1/4 stick of butter into small slices and scatter them over the apples. In a large bowl, mix 1 cup sugar and 1 cup flour. Beat the egg in a small bowl. Mix the egg into the flour/sugar mixture with a fork until it is crumbly. Spread the crumbles over the apples. Melt 1 stick of butter and pour over the top of the crumbles. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.

Serve warm with vanilla ice cream on top.

0 comments: