Monday, January 12, 2009

Busy Mom Recipe: Dorito Chicken

I subscribe to daily email devotionals from Proverbs 31 Ministries. Today's devotional was called "Her children arise and call her busy". In the devotional the author writes that one day after telling her daughter she was too busy to tell her a story, her daughter said,

"That's okay, I'll tell you a story. Once upon a time," she began, "there was a very busy mom. She woke up every day and she was tired. She made a big pot of coffee and went into her room to pray. She prayed and prayed and prayed…but nothing happened. She did the laundry and went to Target and to the grocery store where she spent lots of money. She made dinner and cleaned the house. She went to help the homeless children. At the end of the day, she was still tired so she went to bed. The end."

That really hit home for me. I bet that's how my son views me as well. I really need to slow down and spend some good quality time with him and with the Lord each day.

So, for you busy moms, I have a great recipe. I'm making this for dinner tonight...it takes very little time and it's delicious! My mom always called it "Mexican Chicken", but I've heard several people call it "Dorito Chicken". Whatever you want to call it, here is the recipe...enjoy!

Dorito Chicken

1 Whole Chicken
2 cans cream of chicken
2 cans rotel
1 large bag of Doritos
2 bags shredded cheese (I use colby jack blend but you can use cheddar too)

Boil the whole chicken until done. Strain and let cool. Pick all the meat off the bone and pull into small strips. Put the meat in a large bowl. Mix in the cream of chicken and rotel. Stir in some salt and pepper.

Crush the Doritos while still in the bag.

In a large, deep casserole dish, cover the bottom with half the bag of Doritos. Cover the Dorito layer with half the chicken mixture. Cover that with half the shredded cheese. Then do a layer of the other half of Doritos, a layer of the other half of chicken mixture, and finally the other half of the cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.

Serve with Tortilla Chips.

1 comments:

Cheeky Kitchen said...

That sounds absurdly good. I think Doritoes may be the key to world peace.

Seriously. I love those suckers.

THANKS for the recipe!