Friday, August 8, 2008

Are you wheat or chaff?

Matthew 3:10-12 (NKJV)
And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

1. What do I like?
I like that when we turn to Jesus, he baptizes us with the Holy Spirit so that He is with us all the time. I like that I will be part of His wheat that He will gather into the barn because I have trusted Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior.

2. What do I find challenging?
That every tree which does not bear good fruit, trusting in Jesus as their savior, will be cut down and thrown into an unquenchable fire. I know many people who are probably not saved and it's sad to think they will be cast into a fire that never goes out.

3. What do I learn about God?
That He sent Jesus to baptize with the Holy Spirit so that those of us who trust in Him will never be alone. We will always be filled with the Spirit and can face anything with Him inside us. I also learn that he baptizes those who don't follow Him with fire. This makes me realize that His judgement is severe and you can't go back and accept Him once it is too late. The fire is unquenchable. I also learn that when you are baptized with water by a preacher, it means nothing if you haven't been baptized with the Spirit by Jesus (given your life over to Him).

4. What is He leading me to do?
He is leading me to bear good fruit and lead others to know Jesus so they will be saved from the unquenchable fire.

5. What will I meditate upon?
[He will] gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire. Matthew 3:12b

0 comments: