Saturday, May 17, 2008

Jeremiah Chapter 2

Wow, this chapter really spoke to me. I'm feeling more and more reassured that God directed us to study this book of the Bible because I am learning so much from it that I can apply to things that are going on in my life right now.

Chapter 2 is when God presents his case against Israel. And it was a little scary because all the charges against them are things we in America are doing right now. I can't imagine that God is very happy with our nation right now. In the beginning of the chapter, God reminds them of how they were when they followed Him. He said during the "kindness of their youth" they were "holiness to the LORD." Then, Israel forgot the God who led them out of Egypt into their beautiful land. They were worshipping false idols and the leaders (those who should have really been focused on God) were doing things their own way.

This takes me back to when I was saved, during the "kindness of my youth." It's like when you first recieve that joy of salvation, you are so on fire for the Lord and doing everything you can to live for him. During this time, angels are rejoicing in heaven and the Lord is so happy to have a child come home to Him. Things are wonderful. Then, we start settling back into some of our old ways. We forget about our first love. Now, keep in mind you don't have to bow down to a wooden statue to worship a false idol. That idol can be money or possessions or anything that takes priority over the Lord. In many ways we can become idol worshippers like Israel had.

The part of this chapter that really struck me was v. 27-28.

"For they have turned their back to Me, and not their face. But in the time of their trouble They will say, 'Arise and save us.' But where are your gods that you have made for yourselves? Let them arise, If they can save you in the time of your trouble."

Isn't it frustrating as a Christian when you see someone who has nothing to do with the Lord, does not pray, does not read their Bible, does not have a personal relationship with the Lord, and as soon as they come to a time of trouble in their life where they have no control over the situation, they run to God? Then, when the trouble is gone, they forget all about Him again. That frustrates me. But, don't we Christians do the same things at times? There are times when I will just stop reading my Bible for months. I won't have a daily quiet time, and I won't pray very often. But when things get tough and I need the Lord, I go running to Him and start praying every day and studying the word. Now, I may not forget to do those things as easily as someone who doesn't have their salvation, but isn't it almost the same?

Friends, don't get too caught up in this world. How will your money help you when your child is so sick he/she is in the hospital for days? How will your nice car help when your husband is laid off from his job and can't find another one for months? The only one who can truly help us through our struggles is our Lord Jesus. But He doesn't want to just hear from us when we need His help. He wants to know us personally and intimately on a daily basis. Just like a marriage, we are the bride of Christ. We need to stand by him in sickness and in health, through the good and the bad, no matter what happens.

This chapter really made me re-evaluate how I think about my relationship with the Lord. I can't expect him to come running to bail me out of troubled times if he hasn't heard from me in so long that he doesn't recognize my voice on the other end of the line.

0 comments: