Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Jeremiah Chapter 1

My mentor and I have decided to read the book of Jeremiah together. So, I thought this would be a good time to make a blog entry on the things I learned from Jeremiah today. While I've heard several scriptures from Jeremiah, I have never read the entire book before, so I'm really excited about this.

Today I read Chapter One. The first thing that really caught my attention and got me thinking was v. 1:5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations." God knew Jeremiah would be a prophet to the nations before he was even in his mother's womb. After three long years of trying, John and I are finally pregnant. I can just imagine 2 years ago, God looking down upon me as I prayed for a baby and thinking, "it's not time yet, but one day I will bless you with a child. I already know that child and the plans I have for him/her". I wonder what God has already ordained this child to be. Sometimes I wonder what he ordained ME to be long ago before I was in my mother's womb. Just when I think I might have that figured out, He throws me another curve ball.

Then, in v. 1:6, just as Moses tried to get out of what God ordained him to do, Jeremiah argued with God, "Ah, Lord God! Behold, I cannot speak, for I am a youth." Have you ever felt like that? For me, the hardest people to share my faith with are family members and close friends. I have close family members who have not given their lives to Jesus and I pray for them often. But when I'm talking to them, God will open a door for me to share my faith and I will reach right out and close it just as quickly as it opened. Later, I'm kicking myself for not jumping at the opportunity, but it's like I'm saying, "Lord God, I cannot speak, for I am a youth!" I used to use the excuse that I was too young in my faith and didn't know enough scripture to back what I was saying. But how long can I use that one? I'm equipped enough to knock on the doors of strangers with my FAITH team from church and tell them how they can have a personal relationship with Jesus. In fact, a couple of weeks ago, a woman prayed to receive Christ as a result of one of those visits. I can share that with a stranger, but not a close friend or relative?

This is where I need to focus on v. 1:7-8 But the LORD said to me: "Do not say, "I am a youth," For you shall go to all to whom I send you, And whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of their faces, For I am with you to deliver you," says the LORD.
I need to trust in the Lord to fill me with the Holy Spirit and give me the words to say. And I need to overcome the fear of rejection, for God will deliver me.

My biggest fear has always been rejection. Not so much from strangers, which is why it doesn't bother me to be turned away by a stranger at their door who doesn't want to hear what I have to say. But when a friend or family member rejects me for something I say or do, no matter how right I am, it bothers me a great deal. This is something I'm going to have to overcome. I have trouble saying "no" even when I want to, I have trouble sharing my faith even when a door opens for me to, and I have trouble telling people their actions or words are inappropriate even though I know they need to hear it. And it all boils down to a fear of rejection.

So, today the lesson I learned is that it doesn't matter if I am rejected by man. Verse 1:19 says, "They will fight against you, But they shall not prevail against you, For I am with you, says the LORD, to deliver you." As long as I am living for the Lord and speaking the words He gives me, there will be those who will fight against me and even reject me. But what eternal value does their opinion have? The Lord will deliver me for remaining faithful as Jeremiah did.

0 comments: